Saturday, November 14, 2009

“How Much Does A Website Cost?”

Well Ladies and Gentlemen,

You will be happy to know that this is my very first blog! YAY! (Insert sound of party noise makers here)  

What topic shall I choose?
My first instinct was to write at lengths about one of the many things you can do to frustrate your graphics designer, however, I will save a whining and moaning blog for another time!

“How Much Does A Website Cost?”

What a great start because this is the first question I get asked when I tell people that I design websites.

Let me tell you, they cost EXACTLY $738.97!  ha!  No, but seriously: asking how much a website costs is like asking how much a car costs.
By that I mean, you can buy a car for $200, or you can buy a car for $2,000,000!

I typically answer this question with SEVERAL questions, partly because I need to know, mainly because it annoys the heck out of people! muahaha

1) What is the purpose of your website?
Do you intend for people to call you or email you after browsing your site? Is it just to share information?  Without a purpose, your website will just end up floating around in some solitary corner of cyberspace, not fulfilling it's destiny!

2) Are there other websites on the net somewhere related to what you have in mind?
There is nothing wrong with getting inspiration from others!  In the end, your site will have all of the elements you want, yet it will look completely different than anything else and be its OWN UNIQUE SITE! I like to hear things like: “I want the top of my site to be kind of like blabla.com, but I like how gluggalug.com put a flash banner on the right, oh and piccapicca.com has a good color scheme”.  This is a GREAT start for your web designer.  This will set them on the right track, right frame of mind, and “driving” in the right direction. 

3) How many pages?
This question is tricky for those who are not computer savvy.  Optimally, you will have a nice neat flow chart or something very organized showing which links you want on what pages. I have yet to see this! (Even in creating our own website!) The best advice I can give here is refer to #1; find a site that has similar navigation to what you have in mind. 

4) What features are you looking for?
Shopping Cart? More money.  Interactive features? More money.  Crazy custom flash animations? You guessed it! More money!

5) How much are you willing to spend?
Using this figure, we can either try to squeeze in as much of your website’s features into the budget as possible or recommend possible additions that may help.

In short, make sure you have your stuff together before you ask this question!

Fritz
Pensacola Website Design

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home