Saturday, November 28, 2009

Email TIp: Add Hotmail Account to Thunderbird, the easy way

There IS an addon called webmail that will do the trick but I wanted to set it up without.  After an hour of trying, (including searching all over the internet), I have found the solution of how to set up hotmail on thunderbird.  Enjoy:


Account name:  youremailaddess@hotmail.com

Your name: whatever you want
email address: (duh!)
server name: pop3.live.com
port: 995
username: also the email address
Security settings -
  SSL  and make sure "use secure connection" is unchecked

At the bottom left of thunderbird's account settings add a new outgoing server, the settings of which are below:

description: something easily recognizable
server name: smtp.live.com
port: 25

security and authentication:
username and password unchecked

use secure connection:
TLS, if available

Make sure you go back to the hotmail account you set up and change your outgoing server to the outgoing account.


When I first attempted to set it up I was getting the following message: "sending of password did not succeed. mail server pop3.live.com responded authentication failed".  I'm not sure what I had wrong so I deleted the account and started over.     This is mainly for ME to find later being that I had so much trouble finding the solution on the internet.  I hope someone else finds this useful!  Let me know if I'm missing anything.

Pop3 hotmail settings for thunderbird on Windows Live Help website



Fritz
http://teknekwebservices.com/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home